Thursday, November 01, 2012

Christmas is Coming! - Magnolia-licious Highlites November challenge

Hello.  Happy November!  The month snuck up on you, didn't it?  LOL...on me too!

Anyway, it's the first of the month, so it's time for a new challenge at the Magnolia-licious Highlites Challenge Blog.  And woo-hoo...I am the hostess this month.  My chosen challenge theme is to have 'something hidden' in your card or project.  It can be a hidden message, tag, gift card or you can make a pop-up card, a peek-a-boo card, etc.

So this is what I have made--an advent-calendar card.  Yes, another one, but different than the last.


It is actually a front-panel side-step card.  For the countdown of the days before Christmas, I have added the December dates to the side panel.  They are attached by a piece of Zutter Bind-It-All binding wire.  The dates are my 'something hidden'.

I actually saw, quite a while back, some kind of an advent calendar that someone made using the binding wire.  Sorry, but I didn't make a note of whose blog I saw it in.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't a side-step card though, but the idea must have lodged in my mind.  I had to hand-punched these holes for the binding wire to pass through, because I just couldn't fit into my Zutter machine so that it will punch the holes where I want them.  The machine will only punch the holes at the very top edge of the card.

Here are a couple side views...


 
 
I like this style of advent-calendar card.  I think I'm going to make a few more and send them out early--by the end of the month!.  But I'd better find an easier way to create those holes for the binding wire to pass through...LOL.
**Edited--template for this card HERE if you're interested. 

I hope you can play along with us in our challenge at the Magnolia-licious Highlites. For more inspirations, have a look a the fabulous cards and projects that my DT teammates have created, HERE, and also to get more details on the challenge and how to join us.

I love this Tilda image!  Sooo... cute!  She is called Tilda With Long Hair and she is from Magnolia's newest A Christmas Story Collection 2012.   

 
The stamps for this Tilda and the other adorable images from this collection are available from Diana's on-line store, Magnolia-licious--click HERE.  Other full-size and mini stamps from older collections are available as well.  If you don't see the stamp you want, contact Diana and ask her if she can bring it in for you. 
Take a look also at the selection of wonderful cutting dies from Memory Box, PoppyStamps, Magnolia, Marianne Design and Cheery Lynn Designs. Diana gives excellent service, discounted prices and you will earn in-store credit with every order to be used on future purchases.  Sweet!

Challenges for this card:
Basic Grey Challenge #80 - Anything Goes (BG DP Wassail Cranberry Sauce)
Tilda's Town Challenge #24 - Merry Christmas
Stampin' for the Weekend Challenge #20 - Anything Goes
Fussy and Fancy Friday Challenge #74 - Anything Goes
Card Makin' Mamas Anything Goes
Lovely hAnglar or Sweet Magnolia Challenge #55 - Girls Only
Stamptacular Sunday Challenge #187 - Not an Ordinary Card
Simon Says Stamp! Challenge - Get in shape!
Divas By Design Challenge #59 - Feeling Festive?
Christmas Cards All Year 'Round November Challenge - Shaped or Fancy Folds

Thanks for dropping by.  I very much appreciate your visit and your comment.  Enjoy your day!

(A reminder to most locations in Canada and USA, daily savings time ends this Sunday, Nov. 4/12.  We fall back 1 hour--that means woo-hoo...an extra hour of sleep!!!)


Materials and Tools Used:
DP's:  Recollections Believe paper pad ; Basic Grey Wassail cranberry sauce; Creative Imaginations (xmas stripes)
Dies:  Spellbinders Labels Eighteen; Cheery Lynn Designs Holly Flourish and Pine Branches; Tim Holtz Festive Greenery
Miscellaneous:  Tim Holtz distress ink stamp pad Walnut Stain; Zutter Bind-It-All binding wire; pearls from my stash, Making Memories hand punch tools  
Medium:  alcohol-ink based markers--Letraset Promarkers, Letraset Pantone Trias (-T), Shin-Han Touch markers
- face and skin--blush, coral, soft peach, vanilla, oatmeal, pastel pink
- hair and boots--shale, Touch 99, Touch 102, cinnamon, tan 
- cap and tights--Touch 42, olive green, marsh green, 617-T
- sweater--terra cotta, spice, honeycomb, apricot
- bell & ribbons--raw sienna, mustard, pastel yellow, buttercup
- christmas cracker--Touch 1, burgundy, 702-T, 701-T, 692-T
- warm grey 5-T, cool greys 1 to 4-T

62 comments:

Ellen said...

Love, love, love this December countdown calender !!
Hugs, Ellen

leonenkarin.blogspot.com said...

Amazing project!! I put this gorgeus creation definitely on my list things to do :D
Hugs, Karin

M@ureen said...

Wow, this looks so pretty!
Great job ;-)

Greetz,
Maureen.

Andria said...

OMG, OMG, OMG this is fantastic, so beautifully made and coloured, finished to professional standard. Fantastic gift/card idea, going to have to do these next year. Thanks for sharing :).

mgoll88 said...

Thats a very fantaatic creation, wonderfull idea! Looks sooooo nice!!!

LG
Michaela

Louise said...

Gorgeous creation, this is fabulous Norma. Love your coloring and details
Louise

Anne said...

I loove this, its so creative and gorgeous! Love the colors and dies, the image is beautiful!

Hugs, Anne.

Laine said...

Wow Norma, what a stunning creation. Such a fabulous image and design detail.
Hugs
Laine
X

Renata said...

Kako ljubko!

Heather said...

A beautiful calender Norma, your design is fabulous and stunning colours. Tilda is stunning and I love your gorgeous details.

hugs
Heather xx
Thanks so much for joining us with Simon Says Stamp challenge.

Ivonne said...

Wow Norma, this is so gorgeous and creative!! I love what you have done with the date...amazing! LOVE LOVE LOVE the image, so perfectly colored. It is simply stunning. Hugs, Ivonne

PS. We are celebrating our first blogiversary and have some candy in our blog, come and take a look. xoxo

http://our-life-in-colors.blogspot.com/2012/10/its-candy-timewe-have-some-treats-for.html

Cordine said...

Another stunning project norma!
Hugs
Cordine

KathR said...

This is fabulous, might try and have a go at this myself, and to think I only found your blog from this pic in someones sidebar and it intrigued me...
hugz Kath...xx..

Maris said...

hi dear Norma, wowww how allsome this is, love it ,just like gift it is xx

Christina C. said...

When I visit you blog, I know I'm going to see a phenomenal work of art and this beautiful creation most definitely qualifies....WOW, WOW, WOW! This is very, very impressive, Norma! Adore the beautiful colors and your amazing design work and details.....such a visual delight!

Céline said...

amazing project i love it ! fab coloring
thanks for playing with us at stamptacular sunday this week
hugs
céline

Janneke said...

What a beautiful creation ;o)
Thank you for joining us at Tilda's Town this week.

Nicola said...

Such an inspirational creation Norma, I adore your calender with so many awesome details and Tilda is coloured perfectly!
Hugs Nicola xxx

Mojca said...

Waw she is so gorgeous!!!! and I love jour creation. Hugs! Mojca

Linxx said...

What a great idea! I might steal that one from you! Great inspiration, thank you!

Rhonda Miller said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this. It's fabulous.

Grandma Bonnie said...

Norma, i so love this..and now i'd like one. I am going to pin it to Pinterest...so that maybe one day when i have time i will be able to make one. :) Thanks for joining us at Stamptacular Sunday challenges!

Tina Makuc said...

OMG Norma.. This calendar is amazing.. I want one too... :)))
Thanks for sharing your pieces of art with us at Tilda's Town..
Hugs, Tina

Frances said...

What a wonderful creation! Great design and coloring. Great idea for gifts. hugs, Frances.

Anonymous said...

oh wow Norma! this is so over the top awesome! Can you make this an internet class!!! LOVE it! So glad you joined us @ Tilda's Town Challenges! Thanks for playing!

Teri said...

Well... pick me right up off the floor!!!! This is FABULOUS!!!!!! It is better than fabulous!!! Absolutely adorable and perfectly made and colored!!! I am almost speechless!!!!
Hugs,
Teri

Patti Jo said...

Norma you come up with the most fantastic ideas and so beautifully executed too!!! Love this!!!! Such a creative mind and of course the awesome coloring!!!

StephG said...

gorgeous card...what a great idea! Your coloring is amazing...love all the details. Thank you for joining us at Stamptacular Sunday♥

Iulia said...

Fabulous, Norma! You are always so creative and this card-calendar would make a perfect gift for Christmas! Your coloring and assembling of this card is simply phenomenal! Thanks for the inspiration sweetie!
Hugs, Iulia

Plastic Card said...

What a stunning card. So lovely design. I like the colors you have used and that image is so cute. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry said...

WOW!! This is absolutely stunning. I love your card and the coloring and the advent calender is such a great bonus. Fabulous work!

Hugs

Sharon Caudle said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I LOVE this, Norma!!! Love the colors you used! Gorgeous coloring and beautiful design! I do believe I'll have to give this a shot! You're always such an inspiration!
hugs, Sharon

RenateKreativ said...

Love it this wonderful calender. Great job.
Hugs Renate

Anonymous said...

Honestly Norma, you are too clever! I wish I can crawl inside your brain! What a fabulous advent calendar creation. Gorgeous design and awesome coloring as always dear. Love it love it love it!!! hugs, Angela

Unknown said...

WOWWWW NORMJA this is just breathtaking!!!!!! Love this gorgeous creation!!!!!! Wow another treasure!!!!!

Karen said...

Your advent calendar is fabulous! Love your design and your coloring is as stunning as always.

Karen

Cathy Lee said...

Oh my goodness, Norma. You simply amaze me with your creativity. I was just beginning to plan my advent easel card with the circle dial. Holy Cow, I might have to try this one too. Actually I need to take some time off of work to play with all the projects.
Your Tilda is adorable and I think I recognize her from the Magnolia-licious store. She is colored fabulously. This is such an awesome card, my friend.
Hugz,
Cathy Lee

Candy said...

Hi Norma,
I feel terrible about being so late in commenting!
Blogger was on strike for me all day yesterday :o(
Fantastic work - beautiful colouring as always. I didn't buy this image and as usual when I see it coloured up, I wish I had!
Love the style of this Calendar card. What a lot of work punching the wholes yourself!! Sure is a wonderful gift idea though.
Love, Candy

Plastic cards said...

Cute and captivating and the way you embellish inspires me a lot...

Debbie Pamment said...

WOW Norma - this is absolutely AMAZING!!!! LOVE it! xXx

Karen said...

This is gorgeous!!! : )

Ann Marie Governale said...

Just a beautiful creation as always... love love love to visit your blog.. sooooo inspirational! xxx Ann Marie

Sabina said...

Omg! I absolutly love all your stuff! You never stop amaze me! Thanks for sharing all beautiful things you do!

Elle said...

Your Advent calendar is absolutely perfect!

Sarah J Moerman said...

Wow! This is absolutely STUNNING! Gorgeous in every way! Thanks for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!

TLC DESIGNS, LLC said...

I always adore your projects Norma and I'm so glad to stop in and visit today as I've not been here in so long! Your coloring is gorgeous, and the calendar is really enlightened!
Hugs
Tammy Louise

cabio's craft corner said...

Norma, I never leave without any inspiration after coming to your blog. Beautiful calendar and the idea is great. I have quite a few zutter wire have yet to use. Thanks for the great idea :o)
Hugs,
Cabio

Ciska said...

What a wonderful idea to incorporate a calendar in your card, and such a beautiful card at that! Thank you for linking up with us @ CCAYR :)

Sinikka said...

What a great calendar
Hugs Sinikka

~* Jay Jay *~ said...

Hi Norma,

When I saw your card I thought "Oh, that's "the same" kind of advent calendar card I made for SEME *heehee*. Funny that we both saw the card from Marianne and made our own ones!

Your card is really beautiful! ♥ it!

Hugs,
Jay Jay

cathylynn said...

Norma sweet Norma. You never ever cease to amaze me with your talent. This is fantastic and what an exciting idea you have here. Also your coloring is beautiful as well as all of your details. Chalk up another fantastic creation by Norma!!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Margaret Mifsud said...

What a fabulous idea, and a great card! This is definitely going onto my to-do list. Hugs Marg

Berry said...

I beyond love this! Its the most perfect idea and beautifully executed
Thanks for playing at SFTW and divas hugs Rebekah xx

Beckie said...

WOW. I saw this at Divas by Design and HAD to pop over. I just love this. New follower ;0)

Be blessed, Beckie
http://justbcreativecrazy.blogspot.com
justbcreativecrazy@gmail.com
Stampin' Up Ind Demo

Unknown said...

Wow and many Wow's Norma!!

Love your work. and glad to be your new follower!

Nazneen
http://kaagaz-artisticquilling.blogspot.in/

suzanne2 said...

congratulations Norma, i love your card and you are a worthy top 5 winner. i am now a follower of your blog because i am so inspired by your beautiful creations. thank you again for sharing your work with us at fussy and fancy challenge blog.

Sue said...

Hello, I just had to pop over to say how much I love this.
The design, image and details are stunning.
Sue

Anonymous said...

This is PHENOMENAL!!
Evelyn

Sazzle said...

Congratulations Norma you've been hand picked as one of our DT picks over at Fussy and Fancy :-)

If you fancy displaying our blinkie (top 5) please pop over to the blog to grab it - thanks for entering and look forward to seeing you in future challenges!

Cinzia C. said...

What a fab work!! Every detail is wonderful. really stunning!
Hugs
Cinzia xx

angelic crafter said...

Wow! what a lovely idea. I do advent calendars and table top calendars using my zutter- I have a secret crush on it LOL!!! yours is so much more compact than mine- I love it. I love the magnolia image and just everything about this card. Thanks for sharing XOX Tania

Cindy :) said...

fabulous idea....sooo cute and pretty love it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...